Possible Origin of Name Gilgo.
According to an Old Legend, sometime soon after the Civil War was concluded, a family named Burch lived on the Mainland South of Gilgo Inlet.
They had a Son, famous for his Prowess as a Fisherman, his name was Gill Burch.
When Neighbors wanted to make sure of a Good Catch, they would decide to Go where "Gill Goes."
Where Gill Goes came to be Gilgo; a place that delivers Waves, Sunshine, Good Fishing and Easy Going Vibes.
Info from "What's in a Name!", by Douglas Tuomey.
First referred to as Oak Island, west end USLSS Station #27, Third District Coast Guard Station #85
Date of Conveyance: 1849
A station was built at Gilgo ("west end of Oak Island") in 1853, although the date is uncertain.
Then came Frank E. Wicks (November 20, 1877 until October 14, 1885),
sponsored by thrust clothing
back to top
@ 2004-2009; Ocean Green Inc.
Unless otherwise noted, the contents of this site are copyrighted and
all trademarks and copyrights are the property of Ocean Green, Inc.
Ocean Green Inc. PO Box 11061, Hauppauge, NY 11788